BowFishing Country banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have welded a lot in the past but my only aluminum experience has been with a tig I was planning on selling my boat and gonna buy an all weld boat but I have changed my my Mind I want a flat bottom mud boat with twin 37efi gator tails. I'm looking for a mig welder with a spool gun so I that can weld my own custom boat with3/16 floor and bottom. What are y'all using

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
What's your budget, Do you have 3 phase power availible? I'd but a miller XMT.

Most folks will be very happy with a Miller 211 or 212.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I have a 211. Not a bad unit, but you will be better off with the 212 or 252. If you have the budget, go for the 350P. The 211 will ONLY run 4043 wire.

·
Registered
246 Posts
i just ordered one of those eastwood mig 175 amp with a spool gun for 500 but ill let you know what I think once I try it out. nothing but good reviews online so we will see

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Get the 211 with the 150 spool gun and it will do everything you need. Including 5356.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
And we just finished building an 1872 with it. So I've run it a decent amount.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I have the Eastwood 175 also. It does have a short duty cycle, 30% I believe. It would work but you won't set the world on fire with its speed. The spool gun works but is plastic so you wouldn't want to use it recklessly.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
You can take this or leave it, makes no difference to me, I have been working in fabrication shops since I was 16 years old, it's the only job I've really ever had. They all have one thing in common, Red and Blue. Literally every shop I know of has nothing but Lincoln and Miller welders. So my advise to you would be to one of those brands. No offense to anyone who owns a Eastwood, probably work just fine, but that $500 unit is more than likely not professional grade. Buy the best tools you can afford, if you can't afford nice tools do not compromise, wait till you can afford them.

A quality tool is never a bad investment.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Get the 211 with the 150 spool gun and it will do everything you need. Including 5356.
This is gonna be the best bet-you won't find a better machine for the money. Not terribly expensive, easy as hell to setup and use, and it'll last forever. I've always used 4043 wire, never had an issue welding to anything. .030 size wire.

What's really nice is you can use it with 110v or 220v.

·
Premium Member
7,652 Posts
This is gonna be the best bet-you won't find a better machine for the money. Not terribly expensive, easy as hell to setup and use, and it'll last forever. I've always used 4043 wire, never had an issue welding to anything. .030 size wire.

What's really nice is you can use it with 110v or 220v.

Just bought one (Miller 211 mig) with build with blue program and had "some" limited welding experience in the past and got the spool gun with the (3) different tanks of gas for aluminum, stainless and regular steel and is easy to set up,very versatile dual voltage. I stopped by our local fab shop and picked up some different types of scrap and playing with welding aluminum and stainless, so far been pretty impressed with it.....

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
You can take this or leave it, makes no difference to me, I have been working in fabrication shops since I was 16 years old, it's the only job I've really ever had. They all have one thing in common, Red and Blue. Literally every shop I know of has nothing but Lincoln and Miller welders. So my advise to you would be to one of those brands. No offense to anyone who owns a Eastwood, probably work just fine, but that $500 unit is more than likely not professional grade. Buy the best tools you can afford, if you can't afford nice tools do not compromise, wait till you can afford them.

A quality tool is never a bad investment.
Eastwood isn't professional grade, no doubt about that. In tools you definitely get what you pay for. IF you're looking for something reasonably priced that will get the job done then the Eastwood is a affordable unit and you can eventually get the job done with it. However, that being said there is a lot more better choices if you are wanting an "investment grade" unit. The 350P would be my personal choice if I wanted a quality unit but I don't build enough to warrant the price of it for occasional use. If you plan on using for a fabrication shop where you'll be doing this type of work for your living then you really need something better.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Eastwood isn't professional grade, no doubt about that. In tools you definitely get what you pay for. IF you're looking for something reasonably priced that will get the job done then the Eastwood is a affordable unit and you can eventually get the job done with it. However, that being said there is a lot more better choices if you are wanting an "investment grade" unit. The 350P would be my personal choice if I wanted a quality unit but I don't build enough to warrant the price of it for occasional use. If you plan on using for a fabrication shop where you'll be doing this type of work for your living then you really need something better.
In a perfect world I'd have an XMT with all the bells and wistles. Best multi process welder out there.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I'm not sure if it's just that's it's being the new inverter machine that lets it run 5356 or what. But it'll run it. The 150 spool gun is absolutely worth the extra little bit it costs. This boat was 1/8 except the 3/16 transom and the 1/4" thick T bar that's running the length of it.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
I'm not sure if it's just that's it's being the new inverter machine that lets it run 5356 or what. But it'll run it. The 150 spool gun is absolutely worth the extra little bit it costs. This boat was 1/8 except the 3/16 transom and the 1/4" thick T bar that's running the length of it.
Is this the boat you kept posting on Facebook? That boat is sweet!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the replies I was leaning towards the 211 because of price and to seems to be a little more mobile as far as power source if I ever have to do something out in the yard or at a buddies house I can just use the 110. My only real concern was if it would weld the 3/16th haul that I want.

As far as Eastwood goes they work fine I have a 200ac/dc tig and I'm happy with it produces some great welds after a little time with it. But I will not buy another because if something happens to it I can't just take it to a local welding shop and have it fixed. Everyone has miller so more local parts and service. After I unboxed my Eastwood tig I made a few practice welds and started building my flush deck 1 hour in a board went bad. No big deal I guess because they have a 3 year warranty but it was Friday night so I couldn't do anything till Monday they sent a new unit and knock on wood it has work with out any issues for the past year

·
Premium Member
7,652 Posts
Thanks for all the replies I was leaning towards the 211 because of price and to seems to be a little more mobile as far as power source if I ever have to do something out in the yard or at a buddies house I can just use the 110. My only real concern was if it would weld the 3/16th haul that I want.
Am no professional by any means compared to some guys on here but believe that the 211 will have enough duty cycle and butt for welding 3/16" that almost any of us would be putting it thru....

1 - 20 of 140 Posts