BowFishing Country banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other then the fact they are much quieter ? I was amazed at how quiet a four stroke outboard is . BUT the price on the new technology is well in my mind crazy expensive.Im not in the market as of yet and actually will probably sell my boat and do a total upgrade before i do anything , Im just wondering what others thoughts are on the subject.

·
Registered
314 Posts
4 strokes will soon be a thing of the past. Expensive to get parts for and just completely outdated. Mixing gasoline and oil gets old. Just take the hit now and enjoy the new technology and ease of use.

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
with the newer 2 strokes the "mpg argument" is kinda null and void, but I loved the last 2 4-strokes I had. and if you gonna have a kicker why not have a quiet kicker. if your gonna have a fan its gonna be 4 stroke, so if you planning on a new boat why not keep all the fuel coming from one tank? remember the old saying......"keep it simple stupid". if you doing anything but another troller boat then having both motors require the same fuel will save time, weight, and confusion.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
In my experience the 2 strokes I have had were much more forgiving as far as taking a beating. I currently have a fuel injected 2 stroke and absolutely love it. no mixing of gas either.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Both have a few advantages but I believe 4 strokes have caught up and passed two strokes. My next new motor will be 4 stroke.

·
Registered
764 Posts
4 stroke all the way we have a 2072 Seark with 115 Yamaha and it sips fuel we only run a 9 gallon tank fishing for stingrays 8-10 hours we have to fill the tank each trip. Shooting the river about every 2nd to 3rd trip

·
Premium Member
7,652 Posts
Biggest advantage 4 stroke or 2 stroke is fuel injected and don't have stupid carb issues

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'll take a new e-tec over a new 4 stroke. But I'd take a four stroke over a old 2 stroke. Juse my opinion. And yes I've had them all. My new e-technology sips fuel and I have a hard time telling if it's running when my inverter generator is running.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I'm a marine tech and merc 4stroke dominates as far as dependability. It's a toss up between 2stroke mercs and yamahas. I replace at least 3 etecs a week so....

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Lol! It is a cool motor. They just haven't got all the bugs out yet. The first couple years when optimax came out, they all blew up. Had a supercharged verado break a timing chain last week and blew all to poop. They all can have issues but like I said, the merc 4stroke has the least.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I know a guy that has a huge barge that hauls riprap and dirt with a big track hoe on it. He has 2 suzuki 140hp 4 strokes and he runs them wide open for 5 days a week almost year around pushing that barge. He said he has close to 15,000 hours on them without any major problems at all. You really cant ask for much more than that

Personally I am a fan of carbureted 2 strokes. They are simple to work on and maintain and very reliable if you use them often and maintain them. If I left my merc sitting for 2 years and came back and the carbs were stopped up then I could clean and rebuild the carbs for around $100. If I left a fuel injected 4 stroke sitting and it had fuel system problems then I very seriously doubt that I could fix them under my blue sky garage.

And who doesnt like the sound of a performance 2 stroke at 6,000 rpm? I dont want people to think a prius is coming around the bend to steal their fishing hole! haha

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Lol! I think a Yamaha 2 stroke on a hose sounds best.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts