BowFishing Country banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to buy a new 400 HPS ballast to replace one I let get too hot and fried last fall. Where can I buy a new ballast and what would you all consider the best quality?

FYI - E-conolights 400 HPS ballast kit is $76.90 but they're out of stock.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I got 250HPS ballast kits from plantlighting hypo and from htgsupply. I think they are both whacky weed grow places but their prices were cheap. The plantlighting company had their's already assembled and the htg had instructions. It is not that difficult but shortening all those wires is a SERIOUS PITA!

http://www.plantlightinghydroponics.com/hps-ballast-kits-c-357_251.html
http://www.htgsupply.com/Product-HTGSupply-400-watt-High-Pressure-Sodium-Grow-Light.asp

Here is a mount I made for 3 of them along with one 400 MH ballast...well it was almost done when I took the pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Man I'm getting sticker shock how much these kits are...I wonder what it would take to just upgrade my two 400 hps to electronic ballasts?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Also got my bulbs from 1000bulbs...just compare their prices and availability to econolights. Talk to old bald guy is you want some reflectors and sockets....he's got 1000's.

Also keep in mind that the 250s are REALLY bright!!!! We have been fishing with 350 and 500watt halogens for many years and they are 10,500 lumens. 250HPS are 26,000 lumens and 400HPS are something like 36,000 lumens. This is from memory and i am too lazy to look it up now.

At any rate 400s are almost overkill. I am running 2-400MH on the front because they were free otherwise I would be doing 250s all around. Those 250s are REALLY bright and over twice as bright as halogens. They are still $50 for each ballast and then another $8 for each bulb and you still need a reflector!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm already rigged out with my 400 HPS on the front and my 4 150HPS on the sides. I like my setup, I just need a new 400 HPS ballast. Thanks for the info...

·
Electrocutioner
6,622 Posts
Here you go Robert.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts