BowFishing Country banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall, Havent posted in awhile so I thought I'd share this. so last night at patoka I was trolling along near the Newton stewart south ramp, and I found something quite disturbing. In the stretch of 100 yards I found 3 catfish, 5 bass, 4 carp, a beaver (with what looked to be bullet holes in it) and 2 muskrats. All laying on the bank. I put all the legal fish in my barrel to help with the mess, because I didn't want to get caught with bass, muskrats and a beaver. All the fish were still slimy, so it had to be flast night when they were shot. Guys, this is getting real old. These are the people that are going to get Bowfishing taken from us. I know most everyone who is on this site is dedicated enough to not do such a thing. I know this is kinda beating a dead horse, but awareness needs to be raised. Share this and let's try to make these a••holes famous.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Pure stupidity this is a ongoing thing that is going to bite us in the ass. Clean up your fish ass holes. Thanks for cleaning it up garsticker.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Kudos to you, but I wouldn't have touched any of them. I don't want to get caught anywhere near anything illegal like that and get falsely accused. When I see people in the act, I try to stay away from them, too. These types of people will not stop until they are held accountable, and turning them in is not holding them accountable. The law rarely does anything to stop them, even if they know about it. I just saw an article about someone getting tired of people stealing game cameras in Harlan County, so he/she loaded up several with explosives to put a stop to it. Guess whom the cops are desperately searching for? The thieves? NO! How does anyone even know about it unless they were messing with a camera that didn't belong to them? I've said it before--the KDFWR could be run entirely off of the fines from people breaking the law below KY/Barkley dams. But where are the COs? Any given day, (in broad daylight, even) people use illegal equipment, illegal methods, dump fish, illegally retain fish, illegally release fish, refuse to wear a life jacket in a boat... the list goes on and on. They won't stop until someone makes them, and it doesn't look like that's going to happen any time soon. And if we try to make them we will be the ones getting arrested.:cen:

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Good work Garsticker. I hate azzholes. I actually called 911 last night on the lake. They told me I was on my own, and it was what I would consider, a very dangerous situation. I passed no fewer than 6 CO and ACOE boats on the 2 hour ride back from the fireworks. No help. 30 minutes before the doper azzhats shot a moarter (the kind you need a license for) straight over my boat with my wife and sleeping little girl in it and then threatened to whoop me, I came as close as I've been to a boat crash. Two more drunk azzhats came across my bow at 10'. Luckily I spotted them in time to back out. (They had no running lights) I hit them with the big light only to get a one finger wave.....then karma showed up. They banked it at 25. Yes, it was the bank I showed them with the light. Unfortunately they both survived. I wish there were a season on weekend warriors. Sorry for the run on sentences. I'm still madder n Hell.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I feel your pain. The NC Wildlife currently is proposing a law that will ban bowfishing for half of my home lake. The lake is 10 minutes from my house and the next closest one is an hour. The area that they are banning is basically the only area on the lake where you can find more than 5 fish in a night. The reason is because they have had 2 Musky that have been reported to have been shot. The games wardens have not even seen the fish in person, they have only had reports ( I know this because I asked them) For all they know they either just died of natural causes, were killed by a fisherman, or was gaffed. Their reponse to the situation is just to ban bowfishing on half of the lake instead of getting out there, investigating the case, and catching the person if it was even a bowfisher. They just want the easy way out. The thing that makes me the maddest about this situation is that the guy that is pushing this law and reported the Musky is a carp fishermen and him and his family catch carp and sell them to carp ponds. Its obvious that he isnt trying to save musky, he is trying to save the carp.

Unfortunately we are going to have to take it upon ourselves to police other bowfishermen because reporting them just shines a bad light on the sport to the game wardens.

·
Registered
764 Posts
It's stuff like this that makes me not want to go after my fan boat build between laws and regs changing, dang shame people wanna shoot fish but don't have a way to get read of them

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good work Garsticker. I hate azzholes. I actually called 911 last night on the lake. They told me I was on my own, and it was what I would consider, a very dangerous situation. I passed no fewer than 6 CO and ACOE boats on the 2 hour ride back from the fireworks. No help. 30 minutes before the doper azzhats shot a moarter (the kind you need a license for) straight over my boat with my wife and sleeping little girl in it and then threatened to whoop me, I came as close as I've been to a boat crash. Two more drunk azzhats came across my bow at 10'. Luckily I spotted them in time to back out. (They had no running lights) I hit them with the big light only to get a one finger wave.....then karma showed up. They banked it at 25. Yes, it was the bank I showed them with the light. Unfortunately they both survived. I wish there were a season on weekend warriors. Sorry for the run on sentences. I'm still madder n Hell.
my god, Saturday night was insane. I was out there too, over by the marina, I had to blind a guy with the big lights to keep from getting hit as we were crossing the lake, he took it out of gear and popped it in reverse at 25-30 to keep from hitting me broadside. Then we passed a CO right after that who did NOTHING to the guy that almost hit me at all.

·
Registered
462 Posts
There's nothing worse here than going out in a boat and then realizing it's a holiday weekend after you're on the water. All the real winners come out with their PWCs and cruisers and like to play chicken and anything else you can think of.:headbang:

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
We learned a few years back not bother going out on holidays. Too many drunken idiots. I generally try to avoid Sat/Sun as much as possible during the summer as well. Too many people, too little water. I like fishing best when they put the floating docks away and you have to launch and recover the boat like a man. There are still some jerks, but fewer, and a far less idiots. A vast majority of people can't figure how to launch a boat without getting wet if there is no dock.

Even before I had a place to take fish - which was a lot of years - I don't remember leaving fish where anyone would find them to complain. It is definitely an issue for many people though. It takes more effort to dispose of fish properly than it does to buy a bowfishing setup nowadays. Slit and sink should be common-sense legal, but that wouldn't really help for bank shooters, and certainly not for cretins shooting game fish and furbearers. Truthfully though, slit and sink is messy and a lot of prissies wouldn't do it anyway.

·
Registered
462 Posts
We learned a few years back not bother going out on holidays. Too many drunken idiots. I generally try to avoid Sat/Sun as much as possible during the summer as well. Too many people, too little water. I like fishing best when they put the floating docks away and you have to launch and recover the boat like a man. There are still some jerks, but fewer, and a far less idiots. A vast majority of people can't figure how to launch a boat without getting wet if there is no dock.

Even before I had a place to take fish - which was a lot of years - I don't remember leaving fish where anyone would find them to complain. It is definitely an issue for many people though. It takes more effort to dispose of fish properly than it does to buy a bowfishing setup nowadays. Slit and sink should be common-sense legal, but that wouldn't really help for bank shooters, and certainly not for cretins shooting game fish and furbearers. Truthfully though, slit and sink is messy and a lot of prissies wouldn't do it anyway.
Slit'n'sink works just fine from the bank. You don't kill the fish; you just remove its ballast ability. They swim out to deep water under their own power and cannot return.

·
Registered
968 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
I feel your pain. The NC Wildlife currently is proposing a law that will ban bowfishing for half of my home lake. The lake is 10 minutes from my house and the next closest one is an hour. The area that they are banning is basically the only area on the lake where you can find more than 5 fish in a night. The reason is because they have had 2 Musky that have been reported to have been shot. The games wardens have not even seen the fish in person, they have only had reports ( I know this because I asked them) For all they know they either just died of natural causes, were killed by a fisherman, or was gaffed. Their reponse to the situation is just to ban bowfishing on half of the lake instead of getting out there, investigating the case, and catching the person if it was even a bowfisher. They just want the easy way out. The thing that makes me the maddest about this situation is that the guy that is pushing this law and reported the Musky is a carp fishermen and him and his family catch carp and sell them to carp ponds. Its obvious that he isnt trying to save musky, he is trying to save the carp.

Unfortunately we are going to have to take it upon ourselves to police other bowfishermen because reporting them just shines a bad light on the sport to the game wardens.
THis Adger or James?

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
im interested to know the nc lakes as well maybe need to start another thread so its no to thread jack this one ..... on a side note i saw on Nitro circus crazy train that in Africa it is legal to kill poachers that are caught in the act

·
Registered
968 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Sentencing in public would be my top pic. Catch someone killing fish/animals for no apparent reason and first offence would be 6 lashings with a green willow switch, second offense 12 lashings and so on. I understand there are people that hunt for sustenance those they should investigate on a individual bassis.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Sentencing in public would be my top pic. Catch someone killing fish/animals for no apparent reason and first offence would be 6 lashings with a green willow switch, second offense 12 lashings and so on. I understand there are people that hunt for sustenance those they should investigate on a individual bassis.
I think corporal punishment would do more good for society than capital punishment does. No more "Can't pay the fine? OK, we'll just let you have probation or put you up at tax-payers' expense in jail to learn better ways to not get caught." Crime would plummet if criminals got a beating.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts