BowFishing Country banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not trying to make an argument for or against. When we talk about trying to keep weight low in the boat to reduce roll, it seems like a hydraulic motor would be appealing. I guess maybe the idea of a hose failing and spewing hydraulic fluid isn't worth the added stability?

·
Super Moderator
7,652 Posts
I remember it’s been done, think ran a pump off smaller gas motor that pumped fluid, may have even been reversible and with straight pitched blades could even give you reverse...... think was a bunch of years ago with a globe style fan cage mount

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I think they're a little more work to get dialed in and more costly than a normal fan setup. You should also run a cooler with them. If you do a search it's been done. I personally think they're a great idea if you want to put in the work dialing it in. They take a little larger boat also.

·
Premium Member
941 Posts
was talking to an old og of the site and he said hydraulic would be a lot faster and more responsive then electrical actuators but does have more failure points as stated above. the other option is all cable and that might be more reliable as far as connection but you still have to have cables front to back so each was has pros and cons just have to see whats better for your needs

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
More possible failure points and more components are probably the biggest drawbacks with it. You'd have to run a reservoir for the fluid and a cooler wouldn't hurt. The biggest plus with them is that you do get reverse and the weight is down low. I still think they're a good idea, even with the drawbacks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts