BowFishing Country banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little girl (6 years old) has a diamond nuclear ice bow with ams retriever and quick draw rest. She is pulling about 10-12 pounds draw weight shooting a hornet lite (I think is the name) arrow from bowfishing extreme with a chaos point.
Her aim is excellent and she isn't taking shots more than a few feet off the front of the boat, generally in 2' or so of water. Buddy and me watched her arrow hit a quill back last night and just shove it with zero penetration. Her tip is brand new so it's good and sharp.
She is an excellent sport about not getting them, she's happy to be touching them with the arrow.
So question is: would a heavier arrow/tip combo help or hinder? I know more draw weight would help and she is working on it, but any ideas on what we can do till she can pull more weight?

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
A little heavier arrow will help out... My daughter started with 14 lbs on a genesis at about 20' draw and we used a 28" white fiberglass arrow with a heavy cajun 2 barb point. she was able to get good penetration on fish up close.

·
Premium Member
7,652 Posts
Definitely don't cut the arrows down, our buddy's kid been trying for a couple years to shoot a fish at about 20# with a short 18"-20" draw and there isn't enough draw length or weight to get the arrow moving fast enough to stick or get much penetration. We tried the cut down arrows and were worse than shooting a heavier arrow with more kinetic energy.

He did finally at 9 shoot his first totally solo stingray without and backup shots, we used to take him and let him give a backup shot when got the fish to the boat to make him feel part of the team.... But had the first ray straight down under front of the boat at point blank on a dinner plate sized Ray but he was pumped big time....

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Heavier weight on front of arrow will for sure help heck it helps my shots!! Take a piece of cold roll 5/16 about 5 inches long mount the bowfishing point on it weld a 2 inch collar on slip the fiber glass shaft into it glue and pin you will end up making one for your self!!:D

·
Premium Member
7,652 Posts
Heavier weight on front of arrow will for sure help heck it helps my shots!! Take a piece of cold roll 5/16 about 5 inches long mount the bowfishing point on it weld a 2 inch collar on slip the fiber glass shaft into it glue and pin you will end up making one for your self!!:D
This advertisement brought to you by AARP and Geritol........

·
Registered
347 Posts
We have a genesis as a backup of a backup and for newbies that has surprised me on how well it penetrates. Only goes up to 20lbs and it went all the way through a 20lb common early season. Granted it was shallow and close but it surprised me

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
This advertisement brought to you by AARP and Geritol........
LOL!! Geritol is good used to use Hadacol was even better!! Put lead in your pencil!:D

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Draw length so going to be your biggest issue. Shorten her arrows and heavier tip will help and keep encouraging her. Don't let her get frustrated because it can happen.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Definitely don't cut the arrows down, our buddy's kid been trying for a couple years to shoot a fish at about 20# with a short 18"-20" draw and there isn't enough draw length or weight to get the arrow moving fast enough to stick or get much penetration. We tried the cut down arrows and were worse than shooting a heavier arrow with more kinetic energy.

He did finally at 8 shoot his first totally solo stingray without and backup shots, we used to take him and let him give a backup shot when got the fish to the boat to make him feel part of the team.... But had the first day straight down under front of the boat at point blank on a dinner plate sized Ray but he was pumped big time....
If you go with the heavier tips you almost have to cut them down a little as they are so front heavy on a 32" arrow that it wants to fall off the bow all the time. a little goes a long way 2-4" was more than enough and go with a heavy point works. its a delicate balance between weight and length for sure.

·
Premium Member
7,652 Posts
If you go with the heavier tips you almost have to cut them down a little as they are so front heavy on a 32" arrow that it wants to fall off the bow all the time. a little goes a long way 2-4" was more than enough and go with a heavy point works. its a delicate balance between weight and length for sure.
Very true, guess don't say "never" but we cut some down to 24" or so and was way worse than a full length arrow, fine balance for sure but if you use heavier tips or aluminum covered shafts to increase weight should be able to cut them down a bit,but have seen our buddies kid at 6 in tears not being able to stick fish, definitely an issue for sure...the super short draw length is your enemy, not enough motion to get it moving.

We did resort to trickery one nite and made a kid very happy, we did a 1,2,3 and all shot at a gar, his line went to the back tangled with our lines, when got to dark part of the boat in the back had to stick his arrow in the gar, kept pulling on his line like it was fighting, was a happy youngin' that nite, wish could download the video from his solo Ray from this weekend was priceless and an 9yo was actually mad we left fish to head in after a long day

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the ideas guys. She used a full length arrow with chaos point last night, she stuck a quill back but it pulled off. She was stoked, maybe later this week we'll get her out and try again. I got a heavier tip and I'm gonna cut a shaft down a bit for her to try.

·
Premium Member
7,652 Posts
Good luck and reassure her it will get better,our buddies kid from last nite with first cownose Ray under the lights, he shot 2 small southern rays daytime this past weekend...

image.jpg

He's now 9 and set his craze up to 30# last night was 28# and also set set his draw up an inch slightly longer just a touch more From 21" now to 22" draw, is also shooting full length arrow,got that Ray dead under the front of boat at less than 3 feet,but it's also something big and solid enough that they don't move when hit so arrow can penetrate unlike a smaller quillback, he also hit a few needlefish last night that were hit and "gimped up" we tried to get him one but couldn't get one close enough to get a good stick on one. But we've been thru it for a couple years also

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
I was gonna ask if anybody tried the heavy rpm arrow .... I must say this thread make me smile all the kiddos going out makes me excited for kids

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yep she's 6 gonna be 7 at the end of summer. It's actually really nice, she has no interest in video games and little interest in the tv. She's been going along the last two years and started shooting this year. She even complains about the outboard being cold blooded, lol.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Just keep her shooting, she'll get 'em. This is my youngest with her first bunch of fish. She shoots the Mission Menace and doesn't pull much weight at all. They love practicing and the more they shoot the stronger they get. They are 9 and 7 now. Both of them shot their first fish solo at age 6.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts