BowFishing Country banner

youtube videos????

4K views 46 replies 12 participants last post by  jameswk 
#1 ·
so just browsing youtube to find bowfishing videos, well because I've been getting into videoing this year and want stuff to compare to and it seems like the videos that get the most views.... HAVE BEAUTIFUL women in them...

Is that the way to make your video more popular? or are these videos from major sites that are going to get views even if their video is crap?:headbang:

What makes a good video?

music?

Whats all or your thoughts?

I seem to enjoy ones with a bunch of different brief clips like 3-5 seconds with a bunch of different angles and material and seem to get bored with ones that are one long video unedited

#2 ·
I like the ones from different angles also. I especially like the overhead shots from a drone and also underwater camera video. The music is a nice touch but I don't know anything about how to use them without copyright infringement other than the video can't be monetized and it also has to credit the artist. I spend a lot of time watching "how to" videos and have learned a TON of information from guys like Whitewaterrambo. Good luck to you!

#3 ·
I don't mind the "music only, shooting" videos but I like hearing some of the conversations that go on too. Not the excessive cursing. Just the normal conversations and/or ribbing that goes on. I say don't be afraid to leave some of that in. Oh and the occasional miss isn't always "bad" footage either. Makes me not think I'm the only guy who misses. :D

#5 · (Edited)
ive done 54 videos. some long, some short, some with music some without. the average view length is less than 4 min. multiple camera angles, short music clips with short narrative sections are best. adding a small graphic text in place of talking can be better sometimes. if its boring but you still want it in there put it in fast forward. keep in mind people have short attention spans and unless its a how to informative type clip your gonna have to try to keep it interesting. Some creators use branding to get more views. guys like myself and Sam Wood use the same type of thumbnail, that way when a suggested clip come up your eye automatically goes to the thumbnail your familiar with. Others like AMS use a great picture as their thumbnail. you always know when you see Matt's face holding a big fish its gonna be a good video. it is very hard to gain a audience, hold a audience, and make you channel grow. you a basically need to drop a awesome video every single week so viewers can know when to watch you.

use social media to grow your audience. embed each clip on every forum your you part of that coincides with your topic, and share it on FB so all your friends get it in their feed.

My channel is just starting to see gains, I have 240 subscribers, 50,000 views, and are finally seeing profits from my efforts.

#8 · (Edited)
every teenage kid with a gopro can post a video. if you want to stand out from the crowd it takes a lot of work. building a channel takes time. sharing the work you have done takes just a few minutes to share on the 5-6 forums I'm a part of and FB. I have never tried to promote myself but have always tried to promote the sport in a positive light. Be proud of the work you have done, try not to show content of bloody messes, every chance you get try to be educational. but know what your taking about don't say dumb things like "buffalo carp" or "spoonbill catfish". Know the difference between rough fish and invasive species. Know the laws, nothing is more disappointing than seeing a good sportsman break a law or wrongly understand the laws he is breaking.

I try to be educational. after years of answering questions and helping others I figure why not try to document when I can so the answers are already available to others when they reach a difficult time. I also enjoy getting my hands on new gear. whenever I get the opportunity to highlight a new product I jump at the chance. I started doing this because if I wanted to know something I always did 3 things. I search prices, read reviews, and searched the product on youtube. Most of the time a 2min clip of somebodys video was the most helpful to me. seeing the product in a real situation and listening to their opinion immediately tells me if they guy knows what he is talking about, if the product is being used properly, and if the product appears to work the way it is marketed. I hate seeing negative written reviews and not knowing if the person is coordinated enough to properly understand it.

the point is if your making video's to share with you friends have fun with it and don't worry about views. if your trying to do it for personal gain your wasting your time. if your trying to show others how to enjoy what you do and are knowledgeable and passionate about something you love then your audience will enjoy your time and efforts. just keep in mind the harder you try the more haters you will draw. If you do it because you love it, then its easy to spend the time and making videos becomes a hobby in itself. just know haters gonna hate, some do it to start chit just to get a rise, and some do it out of jealousy.

#10 ·
I just see a lot of crap videos out there that only seem to have no meaning or good content that get a ton of views and seem to be reaching the masses and i feel like if i spend some time making videos and editing them to make them good i want it to be for something and reach people..

#11 ·
people like quick thrills, and shocker videos. unless you have a company to promote, or have been in the business for years its hard to stand out with all the bowfishing videos out there. I don't attack other sportsman so ill not mention any names but some videos that get million views just flabbergast me, yet others that put in way more time than I do and don't get much more view time. Then I found that there are world wide companies that sell views. just search "youtube views" on ebay. if you really want 1,000,000 views you can buy them. from that point on I quit putting a lot in seeing someone's view totals.

#12 ·
Making fishing videos will at best be for the passion of the sport. It's a niche market that doesn't have a huge following.

Make videos about anything and everything, you'd be surprised what seemingly nonsensical videos will be somewhat popular.

I've somehow managed 790 subscribers talking about jeeps, pellet guns and other dumb crap.

#14 ·
this is one of the guys I'm talking about that doesn't get enough view time. Gary works hard to make good clips, and I'm proud to say he's one of my good friends. Gary is a growing as a creator, he has cut down on his cussing (lol) and making some great clips. increasing his editing and finding the balance between music and talking. another aspect of great bowfishing videos is pre-roll. Gary is blessed (no sarcasm intended) to live in SOCAL and his water is better than most of the rest of us shoot. this makes for great footage being able to see fish before they get shot in the daylight is rare. I would love to see Gary with a high view camera or a drone view. maybe a piece of conduit 10-12' above his deck to get the optimum view in the water.

when you talk about hot girls in videos ive found that a lot of them are there as a novelty and its one of my pet-peves. yea sure every free white and 21yr old red blooded American male wants to see a smoking hot Anna Kendrick or Jaclynn Crooks out bowfishing and hauling in big loads of fish like Dennis Redden or Tyson Warner but chances are that's never going to happen. We all love watching others bowfish but either you want to see hundreds of fish going into a barrel or hope to see a few giants shot in a clip but I also enjoy seeing a full boat of friends having a good time, I guess because I know how rare all 3 are. if you get the chance watch Michael Waddel's video entitled "Gear it down"

#15 ·
do what makes you proud. all the while keep pushing yourself as a creator or artist. think outside the box so to speak. if you see a view you like on another's video try to duplicate it. if your happy with what you have put together chances are others will too. don't hold back though, chances are you wont produce one epic video so publish all the content you can in hopes one of them makes it big.

#16 ·
I watched gear it down and man was he spot on! Thanks for the advice im going to keep doing what I do and flood youtube with what makes me happy... I hope between weather and work havent been able to hit the water quite like id like...

#18 ·
I don't know where you guys are getting this SoCal nonsense from, I live in Northern California.

I wouldn't stop to take a $hit in southern cali. Southern California is the cali you guys see on TV that makes you think we're all crazy out here.

It might as well be 2 different states, it's that different.

#19 ·
Thanks for the kind words Rambo. I have the aerial mount all fabbed up, haven't had enough good fishing the last month to justify using it.

I have tried to tone down the cussing. I love profanity like it's my favorite uncle, but it isn't a necessity. I'm treating it like a work situation, as Foreman I'm expected to conduct myself in a professional manner, sometimes profanity isn't accetable. This being my first year on Muzzy prostaff I'm going to hold myself to those same standards.

#21 ·
When you're in a boat with buddies profanity seems to be a lot more common, why? Doubt we'll ever know, that's why depending on who I shoot with I have to overlay music in my videos. Not from just myself but the guys I have with me.

#26 ·
Hey Rambo What do you use for doing your how to videos??? I did one for removing the watermark on a tactacam camera and was using my iphone and im not satisfied with how it cameout... i was almost wondering if i shouldnt get a gopro style holder for my iphone

#27 · (Edited)
Here's my sons video with the most views, I was shooting video and camera man.....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PpMKXnE9nV8

Got some stingray video planning on doing here in week or two

For me anyway I like video where you can clearly see the fish before the shot takes place, instead of seeing a shot and just brining in a fish....

#31 · (Edited)
#33 ·
I have the phantom 3 pro and I won't even fish in more wind then that so I def wont launch my quad in that kind of wind... not over water... but I will fly in high winds just not a crazy as I do in no wind.. doesn't tend to stop as quick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.