BowFishing Country banner

41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
13,949 Posts
I was with Scott when "it" happened.We were in Raccoon Creek,Lake Guntersville,World Championship.He was shooting a Retriever(tied to the back as rings or slides hadn't been developed yet) with 400 lb.fasflite on an Oneida LFM...which is still in the lake unless someone found it by now.

approx.25 lbs with 80% letoff...Oneida LFM,Retriever w/400 ff...tied to da back!
Thanks Jeff,I rest,your Honor

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
The other week while bowfishing I lost a lot of line out of my reel (long story). Well the next week one night I stepped out on my porch to see how much line I had left. I shoot a Baracuda set at about 38# with a spinner with 200# ff line and a straight shooter rod. I also use slides. Well I drew my bow back half way and shot level with the ground to see how far my arrow would go. Well it only went about 15-20ft and snapped back and hit the porch. It hit hard enough that if it had hit me it would've drawn blood.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Thanks Jeff for the info. Yall know me, I like to see facts for both sides. I'm for truth, no matter which side it comes from!
The instance I can think of for the arrow being 5 or 10 foot out would be a knot in the reel or short line. In my experience,
the line either breaks or shreds or or both pick up pins (where you at Thomas). Anyone have any more real world experience.
Brady I ain't doubting you and I've shot lots from tying to the back (before rings and slides) too. Just like drinking and driving
though, it only takes once to screw up your whole world.

What I would like to see now, is what would happen when you force a snap back between an arrow tied to the back and one tied
to a ring or slide. Use 300# gator cord and 10# pull I don't care. I want to see if the arrow comes straight back or sideways.

·
Registered
13,949 Posts
Thanks Jeff for the info. Yall know me, I like to see facts for both sides. I'm for truth, no matter which side it comes from!
The instance I can think of for the arrow being 5 or 10 foot out would be a knot in the reel or short line. In my experience,
the line either breaks or shreds or or both pick up pins (where you at Thomas). Anyone have any more real world experience.
Brady I ain't doubting you and I've shot lots from tying to the back (before rings and slides) too. Just like drinking and driving
though, it only takes once to screw up your whole world.

What I would like to see now, is what would happen when you force a snap back between an arrow tied to the back and one tied
to a ring or slide. Use 300# gator cord and 10# pull I don't care. I want to see if the arrow comes straight back or sideways.
I have never shot a slide,but when shot wouldnt the slide come to the back of the arrow?If so,how would the arrow come back side ways?

·
Registered
540 Posts
One thing to consider is the type of knot you use....I know that if the line ties itself to the back it is not using a specific knot. However, I do know that a bowline knot is not near as strong as some other knots. Maybe a trilene knot to the back....have fun typing that sucker! Personally I still think it will break no matter the knot but since you are risking your eyes and arms why not go for it all. :)

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
How bout simulating a knot forming inside the reel? Bout 10 - 15ft of line, one end tied to the handle of the bow, other end tied to the end of the arrow and let'r fly? or try it with a slide, at that distance out it shouldn't matter tied to the back or slide.

41 - 60 of 86 Posts